2013 Text4baby State Enrollment Contest
National, state, and local text4baby partners nationwide participated in the 2013 Text4baby State Enrollment Contest. The contest was established in 2011 and grew out of the enthusiasm of text4baby partners like you around promoting text4baby as a valuable health resource for women and families.
About the Contest
The contest ran from May 12 to October 21, 2013. During this time, states competed to enroll as many participants as possible in the service. All 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands were eligible to compete.
Throughout the contest, states with the highest text4baby enrollment over seven days were identified as the Weekly Winners in Text4baby Tuesday. The states that enrolled the most users (as a proportion of live births in their state) between May 12 and October 21, 2013 were the overall contest winners. The winners were announced at the Martha Mae Eliot Luncheon during the American Public Health Association Annual Meeting in Boston, Mass. on November 4.
The 2013 Text4baby State Enrollment Contest winners are:
The population-adjusted rate of NEW text4baby enrollment (enrollment just during the Contest Period) using 2009 live birth data from CDC (the most recently available data for all states) to approximate the number of NEW pregnancies and NEW infants for each state, will be used to determine winners of the 2013 text4baby state enrollment contest.
We have three groups of states/territories and members of each group competing against one another. The groups have been determined based on the overall distribution of 2009 live births with the goal of having states with similar numbers of estimated NEW pregnancies and NEW infants competing against each other. The Large State Category includes all states with live births in the upper quartile (highest 25%). The Medium State Category includes all states with live births in the middle 50%. The Small State Category includes all states with live births in the lower quartile (lowest 25%).
1) Small State Category: States with the lowest number of live births:
WV, HI, ME, NH, MT, SD, DE, RI, AK, DC, ND, WY, VT, VI
2) Medium State Category: States with live births in between:
IN, AZ, TN, MO, MD, MA, WI, MN, CO, LA, AL, SC, KY, OK, UT, OR, PR, MS, KS, AR, IA, CT, NV, NM, NE, ID
3) Large State Category: States with the highest number of live births:
CA, TX, NY, FL, IL, PA, OH, GA, NC, MI, NJ, VA, WA
This approach balances the distribution of live births and provides states with the fairest possible opportunity to win, given the wide variation in live birth rates across the country.
The official launch of the 2013 Text4baby State Enrollment Contest took place on Mother's Day, May 12, 2013.
Read about the 2012 Text4baby State Contest Winners:
- Michigan: Over 40 text4baby partners contributed to Michigan’s success as Large State Category winner with a of paid advertising and outreach through Medicaid and CHIP enrollment resulting in an 47% increase. Read more here.
- Indiana: The Indiana Minority Health Coalition and 30 other engaged text4baby partners clinched their Medium State Category win through a multi-faceted statewide campaign that included radio and TV ads and interviews, community events, and social media. Read more here.
- South Dakota: The South Dakota Department of Health and other partners won the Small State Category by reaching out to health providers, WIC offices, domestic violence shelters, and school nurses. Read more here.
- The U.S. Virgin Islands received honorable mention for their efforts reaching moms throughout the jurisdiction, thanks to the PSA promotion and outreach of the Governor's Children and Families Council and the Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands. Read more here.